[Chicken-users] Strange behavior of Chicken Scheme interpreter on Window

From: combier
Subject: [Chicken-users] Strange behavior of Chicken Scheme interpreter on Windows 7
Date: Mon, 1 Dec 2014 15:40:10 +0100 (CET)

Hi everybody,

My problem is not really an issue, since the scheme interpreter is working correctly in my test conditions.
But I noticed a strange behavior on Chicken interpreter with my 4.9.0.1 build of Chicken.

Expected behavior:
- open cmd.exe and cd to the build directory
- type "csi"
- the current version, build date and additional information is displayed in the SAME terminal
- the REPL let write Scheme program in the SAME terminal

Observed behavior:
- open cmd.exe and cd to the build directory
- type "csi"
- A new window is opened (looks like a cmd.exe terminal), the current version, build date and additional information is displayed in this window
- (wait around 15 seconds)
- The new window is automatically closed (!) and all the output of the closed window in redirected in the original terminal

So basically, everything works correctly except that there is a strange temporary window which appears and take input/output for around 15 seconds.
The output of the window is redirected to the original window, with some undefined mechanism (pipe? socket?).

This behavior does not appears in the prebuilt binaries of chicken-iup (32 bits).

2 questions:
- This behavior is it normal? Can it be explained?
- How to avoid this behavior?

Conditions:
- Windows 7 64-bits, Intel
- Compiled from sources with Mingw (tried with mingw32-64 SJLC, mingw32-64 FEH)
- Chicken Scheme 4.9.0.1 (also tried with chicken-4.6.3, chicken-4.8.0.5, chicken-4.8.1)
- With the makefile.mingw and makefile.mingw-MSYS (msys binaries of 2011)

Thank you in advance.

Pascal