Re: [Chicken-users] New egg: hardwood

From: Jörg F. Wittenberger
Subject: Re: [Chicken-users] New egg: hardwood
Date: Thu, 02 Oct 2014 14:18:43 +0200

Am 01.10.2014 um 10:18 schrieb Kooda:
Hello fellow CHICKEN users,

I’d like to announce my first egg contribution: the Hardwood egg.

This egg is an attempt at reviving a Termite-like API.
This first release provides the basic constructs for creating processes
and pass messages between them.

I’d like to thanks the #chicken community for providing my some very
useful advices.

You can find the release-info file here for integration in the egg
http://hg.upyum.com/hardwood/raw-file/tip/hardwood.release-info

If you have any comment please feel free to drop me a message, any
contribution is welcome.

Hi Kooda,

I just had a look at your code. You might find it interesting that I've been working on a termite-alike API for a couple of years. It's core code does essentially the same message passing etc. After all it's inspired by Erlang like termite.

The difference wrt termite: termite does not enforce share-nothing semantics. Thus you still *can* use side effects, which makes it not fit for the restricted semantics we've build atop: our application messages are delivered in parallel at a set of host nodes in a peer-to-peer network and the handlers are only actually applied if more than 2/3rd of the set agree on a checksum for the handlers effects.

http://ball.askemos.org/

BTW: This is chicken in action.

/Jörg