Re: [Chicken-users] Can chicken itself be "deployed"?

From: Oleg Kolosov
Subject: Re: [Chicken-users] Can chicken itself be "deployed"?
Date: Tue, 17 Jun 2014 02:27:49 +0400

On 06/16/14 20:20, Matt Welland wrote:
> I have some tough install situations and having a "deployed" version of
> chicken itself would be great.
>
> Specifically I need to install to an area from a vm via sshfs but cannot
> write directly as the user that the files ultimately need to be owned
> by. Don't ask. It is stupid and it sucks. Anyhow, I can work around this
> but it occurred to me that a chicken install that could be moved to any
> directory would be really cool and might solve my problem. Is it possible?

Hello.

I don't fully understand limitations of your environment, but here are
few suggestions:

You can compile Chicken yourself, set PREFIX=$HOME/some/location (this
is not necessary, just easier to have everything in one directory), make
install, grab it from there, copy to target machine (for ex.
/some/location, export CHICKEN_PREFIX=/some/location environment, export
PATH=/some/location/bin:$PATH.

But, if you can not write, you will not be able to install extensions on
the target machine. But you can set environment variables on your
working machine the same way, do chicken-install, and copy the files
over again.

If you do development and need more persistent installation (maybe some
additional software or something), you can try cross compile as per
http://wiki.call-cc.org/man/4/Cross%20development. Process scm files
with the resulting "cross chicken", link with shared libchicken from
"target chicken" and deploy the result. Use chicken-install from the
"cross chicken" to install extensions, it puts them in both trees.

The initial setup can be a little messy but works fine in practise.

--
Regards, Oleg