Re: [Chicken-users] How to install eggs in $HOME?

From: Christian Kellermann
Subject: Re: [Chicken-users] How to install eggs in $HOME?
Date: Sun, 15 Jun 2014 21:18:13 +0200

Hi!

* Manfred Lotz <address@hidden> [140615 19:16]:
> I fully agree. This would be important to have.  If currently not
> possible perhaps chicken-install could be enhanced to be able to place
> executables somewhere else.

I have been installing chicken for years now locally only. For this
I do have a subdirectory ~/chickens which contain the full chicken
tree of each version (4.8.0.5 / 4.9.0.1 / master / etc) installed
there with the PREFIX set to ~/chickens/whatever while building.

To access a particular version I do have a symling in the chickens
directory "use-this" which points to the corresponding version. My
PATH includes ~/chickens/use-this/bin and I use chicken-select to
switch between versions. chicken-install just works fine with this
kind of setup. It is easy, no hassle to set up additional environment
variables and it works just fine.

Maybe that's also a valid option for you?

Kind regards,

Christian

P.S.: You can find chicken-select in the chicken-belt egg.

--
May you be peaceful, may you live in safety, may you be free from
suffering, and may you live with ease.