[Chicken-users] PATCH: Buffering support for OpenSSL egg

From: Philip Kent
Subject: [Chicken-users] PATCH: Buffering support for OpenSSL egg
Date: Fri, 9 Aug 2013 15:24:48 +0000

Dear all,

As part of some of the work I am doing, I have written a patch for the OpenSSL egg to provide buffering for packets, similar to the tcp egg.

If you inspect a Spiffy webserver in SSL mode using Wireshark, you will notice that a single request has many packets, in some cases one packet per HTTP header. With buffering support, these are reduced down to, in many cases, one packet per request. As the underlying TCP protocol requires acknowledgement of every request, this leads to an incredibly large number of packets in both direction, so there should be a reduction in bandwidth used by use of this patch.

As a convenience for people who implement both unencrypted TCP and SSL in their software, the buffer size is taken from the tcp-buffer-size parameter.

I would very much appreciate any feedback or comments that people have to offer.

Many thanks,
Philip Kent

Philip Kent
Software Engineering Intern