Re: [Chicken-users] ANN: civet 0.1, an X(HT)ML templating library

From: Matt Gushee
Subject: Re: [Chicken-users] ANN: civet 0.1, an X(HT)ML templating library
Date: Tue, 2 Apr 2013 18:38:52 -0600

Hi, John--

On Tue, Apr 2, 2013 at 5:02 PM, John Cowan <address@hidden> wrote:
> Matt Gushee scripsit:
>
>> Yes, that's in the plan too ... much as I detest wikis in general and
>> disagree with the practice of maintaining docs separate from the

> The rationale is that good programmers often aren't good documenters, and
> people who don't have time/energy to write code may be able to help with
> documentation.  By keeping the master documentation in an easy-to-change
> form, you don't have to provide commit access to someone who just wants
> to correct a misspelling in the docs or clean them up in some other way.

Yes, I'm aware of the rationale. But I wonder how often that really
happens. If the answer is "quite often," then maybe the system is
worthwhile. But my impression is that egg documentation is seldom
improved by anyone other than the developers of the eggs. Meanwhile,
at the risk of stating the obvious, the downside for users of eggs is
that if you frequently work offline you often don't have the docs
available for an egg you want to use ... or, even if you have a local
Chickadee server (I do), you may not have the correct version.

But how about this for a utopian vision: some future version of
chicken-install has the ability to find the documentation for whatever
version of an egg you are installing, and downloads it and
automatically updates your Chickadee repo with the new doc? If we
could do that I'd feel a lot better about the whole thing.

--
Matt Gushee