Re: [Chicken-users] Error with clang/FreeBSD

From: Vitaly Magerya
Subject: Re: [Chicken-users] Error with clang/FreeBSD
Date: Fri, 15 Feb 2013 20:58:04 +0200

address@hidden <address@hidden> wrote:
> However, I keep wondering how the version compiled without '-z origin'
> managed to pass the deployment test at all, if in fact '-z origin' is really
> necessary in order for the deployed application to find the necessary files.
>   Is the test really testing this adequately, in other words, would an
> application have failed under "real-world" conditions despite passing the
> test?

Did you test having another version of chicken installed system-wide?
If so, without '-z origin' csc will link the resulting binary with
system libchicken.so, thus making it seem like everything worked. If
however you'll deinstall chicken, or move the deployed binaries to a
machine where no chicken is installed (which is the point of -deploy),
it'll fail to find system libchicken, and will refuse to start.

(Run 'ldd' on a deployed binary; if it's linked with libchicken from
/usr/local/lib, then there's a problem).