[Chicken-users] Building 32-bit chicken scheme on OS X

From: Daniel P. Wright
Subject: [Chicken-users] Building 32-bit chicken scheme on OS X
Date: Thu, 10 Jan 2013 20:07:03 +0900

Hello,

I am trying to build chicken scheme for 32-bit on a 64-bit mac running
Mountain Lion.  I have come across people having issues with the
opposite case, where old versions of OS X built 32-bit and required a
flag to build 64-bit, but not this way round.

I have taken the solution to the latter problem and reversed it, so that
I pass ARCH="x86" to make.  The error I get is as follows:

    mac:chicken-4.8.0 okubo$ make PLATFORM=macosx ARCH="x86"
    make -f ./Makefile.macosx CONFIG= all
    gcc  -c apply-hack.x86.S -o apply-hack.x86.o
    apply-hack.x86.S:35:suffix or operands invalid for `call'
    make[1]: *** [apply-hack.x86.o] Error 1
    make: *** [all] Error 2

Looking at the referenced assembly file, passing "*%eax" to call seems
to be what's throwing it.  I don't really know what I'm doing in
assembler, so I'm not sure whether that should be valid or not, though
rivo238123 mentioned in #chicken that it should be in 32-bit mode.

I'm guessing there's probably a flag I'm not passing somewhere, but I'm
not sure what it would be.  I have tried setting CPPFLAGS, LDFLAGS,
LINKER_OPTIONS and C_COMPILER_OPTIMIZATION_OPTIONS to "-m32" (on the
advice of rivo238123) but had no luck.

Has anybody come across this issue?  Any clues which could lead me in
the right direction toward getting it building would be greatly
appreciated.

Many thanks,

Dani.

PS - Please include me in replies as I am not currently subscribed to
     this list.