Re: [Chicken-users] What is the purpose of module interfaces?

From: Matt Gushee
Subject: Re: [Chicken-users] What is the purpose of module interfaces?
Date: Tue, 16 Oct 2012 17:11:00 -0600

Hi, Kon--

On Tue, Oct 16, 2012 at 4:52 PM, Kon Lovett <address@hidden> wrote:

On Oct 16, 2012, at 3:40 PM, Matt Gushee wrote:

> I am trying to understand the usage of module interfaces

The 'functor' facility is for generic programming.

Yes, I'm familiar with functors from my time programming in OCaml. I found them quite useful on occasion.

The levenshtein egg uses functors to abstract cost arithmetic & sequence access.

Okay, I've looked at your code, and I am starting to understand. Shouldn't this usage be documented? The page on modules in the manual makes no explicit association between interfaces and functors. Indeed, I don't see any hint that interfaces can be used in functor definitions the way you do in your egg.

Thanks for the info.

--
Matt Gushee