[Chicken-users] What is the purpose of module interfaces?

From: Matt Gushee
Subject: [Chicken-users] What is the purpose of module interfaces?
Date: Tue, 16 Oct 2012 16:40:18 -0600

Hello, folks--

I am trying to understand the usage of module interfaces (i.e. DEFINE-INTERFACE and (interface: INTERFACE-NAME) in export lists). At first glance they seemed like a good thing--but having experimented a bit with them, I'm not sure I really see the point. As far as I can tell, all that interfaces do is provide a convenient way to enable or disable groups of exported definitions at compile time (i.e., the time when the exporting module is compiled). If so, it seems like a feature that adds significant complexity in return for a very marginal benefit. But perhaps I'm missing something? I would be interested to see an example of a practical application for these interfaces.

Best regards,

--
Matt Gushee