Re: [Chicken-users] Building Chicken Scheme for Android

From: Kristian Lein-Mathisen
Subject: Re: [Chicken-users] Building Chicken Scheme for Android
Date: Tue, 2 Oct 2012 13:01:15 +0200

Hi Alan,

That's interesting. I'm not sure I understand though, how useful having an on-device compiler environment would be.

Whenever you distribute your apps, binaries are all bundled in, so you don't need it for your end-users. And during development, you're in front of your computer which cross-compiles significantly faster than your phone.

This is, of course, if you're actually planning on writing an app. If you wanna just goof around on your command-line and try different system calls or talk to your phone kernel, maybe you're right.

If you just compile a C file an run it on your phone, you can check out how the csi binary is built. The building section describes how you can place this on your phone and run (I don't recall if this actually requires root access). This is with the ndk still.

TinyCC for ARM sounds like fun, but for compatibility, I'd stick with the official NDK!

Cheers,
K.