[Chicken-users] OCD Egg

From: Stephen Eilert
Subject: [Chicken-users] OCD Egg
Date: Sat, 15 Sep 2012 14:25:28 -0300

Hello guys,

I know it's been a while, I've been quite busy the last few months. Unfortunatly, that's not Chicken-related :(

However, I want to redeem myself. Therefore, I am requesting comments on a simple egg I've made. It is not yet what you would consider "stable", but I am already using it for some time now to develop my projects.

For those who know them, it is similar to 'autotest' or 'guard'. That is, it scans the filesystem and runs a command whenever the files it is interested in have changed. This is useful specially for those who like to code using tests.

Its default behaviour is to scan for .scm files in the current directory and, whenever any files have changed their timestamps, it tries to run a Makefile. You can customize it somewhat with a .ocdrc file, in order to filter a different file set, or run a different command when they have changed. You can force a run by hitting Control+C, or abort it hitting Control+C twice.

It is currently missing support for inotify (or fsevent under OSX), so it needs to poll the filesystem (by default, every two seconds). This might be a problem for large projects, but so far this has not bothered me much.

So, what do you guys think? I intend to improve it some more if at least one more person finds it useful :)

This is the repository: https://github.com/outworlder/OCD

-- Stephen

"Kids these days.
Whatever happened to hard work?"

       -- Joel Spolsky, The perils of javaschools