Re: [Chicken-users] Unbounded stack growth

From: Felix
Subject: Re: [Chicken-users] Unbounded stack growth
Date: Wed, 11 Jul 2012 23:59:28 +0200 (CEST)

> Performance should not trump safety and correctness.

Absolutely right, yet everybody has a different perception of what
performance, safety and correctness means. Segfaulting on
_stack-overflow_ is not something that I'd call "incorrect" or "unsafe"
- I'd call it "inconvenient" and it may be the case that handling the
overflow gracefully isn't such a big deal at all. On the other hand,
an extremely deep recursion could in such a case (stack checks
everywhere) bring the machine to a halt due to excessive thrashing.  I
don't know whether I'd perhaps prefer the segfault in such a situation...