Re: [Chicken-users] Summer 2012 meetup in the UK?

From: Alaric Snell-Pym
Subject: Re: [Chicken-users] Summer 2012 meetup in the UK?
Date: Sun, 04 Mar 2012 13:16:57 +0000

On 01/31/2012 04:03 PM, Alaric Snell-Pym wrote:

> In the resulting flurry of last-minute sign-ups, the end of September is
> now looking more popular!
>
> I'll keep you all posted...

OK, as promised (on IRC), I'm now finalising a date for CHICKEN UK 2012!

Looking at the responses on the Doodle, I think the best weekend for
everyone will be Friday the 28th September to Monday the 1st of October.

People are welcome to say in our house, and there's hotels and stuff
nearby for people who don't want to queue for the bathroom in the
morning! We have four guest beds, and loads of space to stretch out
sleeping bags.

You're welcome to come even if you didn't fill in the Doodle - the
Doodle existed to find a widespreadly agreeable date, not as a ticketing
system! I've certainly got enough space for everyone who signed up to
the Doodle, and we can fit a few more people, so just email me if you
didn't join the Doodle and would like to come.

I plan to organise technical and social events on those four days, but
people are welcome to stay over before and after that, be it if you want
to travel up at convenient times and be refreshed and settled before the
activities begin, or just for the heck of it.

As for the programme. I propose the following kinds of sessions;

1) Hacking sprints, where interested parties choose a project and hack
on it, alone or in groups. I'll have places to sit at laptops, with
Wifi, Ethernet, and UK and Euro power sockets.

2) Talks/presentations. Does anybody want to stand up and tell us about
anything? I can try and borrow a projector, and we've already got a
whiteboard!

3) Social events. For meals, we'll provide breakfast and lunch in the
house for all who want it (we're vegetarians, so tell me if you're a
vegan or beyond, or have allergies), for convenience, but I propose that
we go out for meals to save me the cooking and washing-up effort, and as
a pleasant outing. But if there's interest, we could also take an
afternoon or two out for an outing. Feel free to research Cheltenham,
Stroud and Gloucester on the Internet and see if there's anything that
appeals to you. I have three suggestions: We could go for a walk around
the beautiful grounds of Gloucester Cathedral and the Docks, or if we go
to Cheltenham we can drop into The Cheeseworks to look at bizarre
cheeses, or a walk in the countryside around the village I lived in
until recently. Oh, and if it's nasty and rainy outside, we have heaps
of board games, including the legendary Robo Rally
(http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=ah/prod/roborally). What do you
all think?

And remember: This isn't some big formal conference. It's us inviting
the Chicken community over to our new house for a nerdy housewarming :-)
So if there's something you'd like to suggest or ask, just say! Don't be
shy!

ABS

- --
Alaric Snell-Pym