Re: [Chicken-users] What is the charset of the characters of a string li

From: John Cowan
Subject: Re: [Chicken-users] What is the charset of the characters of a string literal?
Date: Sat, 16 Jul 2011 22:30:41 -0400

Pedro Henrique Antunes de Oliveira scripsit:

> Not that it *knows*, but I was thinking that if to store a string in
> memory it reads all bytes right after the opening " of the string up
> to the byte right before the closing ", then the encoding of that
> string is the encoding of the source file.

That's exactly what happens, except for the escape sequences.  The
\o and \x escapes don't care about the encoding, and the \n, \t, \r,
\b, \a, \v, \f, and non-letter escape sequences only assume ASCII.
But \u and \U, as I say, generate UTF-8.

--
La mayyitan ma qadirun yatabaqqa sarmadi                            John Cowan
Fa idha yaji' al-shudhdhadh fa-l-maut qad yantahi.              address@hidden