Re: [Chicken-users] Environments as Modules

From: Felix
Subject: Re: [Chicken-users] Environments as Modules
Date: Fri, 25 Mar 2011 12:17:22 +0100 (CET)

From: George Rogers <address@hidden>
Date: Thu, 24 Mar 2011 19:45:15 -0400 (EDT)

> I was thinking about writing my own scheme interpreter for the heck of it. It
> might not make sense for some implementation strategies. What would be a good
> implementation strategy for this technique.

You could:

- directly walk and evaluate the s-expression tree
- compile to some intermediate representation (like bytecode) and
  interpret that
- or compile into a "closure tree" (see
  http://www.iro.umontreal.ca/~feeley/papers/FeeleyLapalmeCL87.pdf),
  this is for example how the Chicken interpreter is implemented.

There are doubtless many other interesting methods, but these
are what come to mind.

Anyway, implementing a Scheme interpreter or compiler, even if simple,
is the best way to learn the language. Good luck!