Re: [Chicken-users] Save the Gazette!

From: Alaric Snell-Pym
Subject: Re: [Chicken-users] Save the Gazette!
Date: Wed, 16 Feb 2011 13:34:18 +0000

On 02/16/11 13:22, Alan Post wrote:
> Ivan,
>
> I understood Alaric's message to be a request to take the commit
> log, &c, regardless of the form they are in, and convert that
> directly into a form useable by the gazette:  Summarized, formatted,
> and checked in to the repository.

Sort of. I know there's RSS and so on available, but it currently needs
much manual work to turn it into content. I'd like a script that pulls
that RSS feed and spits out (to current-output-port is fine, I can tie
them all together into a top-level script) something that I can really
easily turn into gazette text. Eg, all the hyperlinks are already
generated and marked up. Let me make up some examples:

>>> 2) A script that, when run in a local svn checkout, or maybe by talking
>>> direct to SVN, lists all the eggs that have seen commits in a specified
>>> time period (with the option of "right up to now" as the end of the time
>>> period); and then lists the commit messages and revision numbers (for
>>> deeper investigation, if required) for each. For extra points, make sure
>>> that tagging a version of an egg is clearly indicated somehow (eg,
>>> "TAGGED 1.5"). This should all be a relatively simple matter of parsing
>>> the svn logs.

 * [[egg:ugarit|ugarit]]
   * [r12345] Added more bugs [[users:alaric-snell-pym|Alaric Snell-Pym]]
   * [r56789] Tagged 0.9 [[users:alaric-snell-pym|Alaric Snell-Pym]]

I'd then look up the revision numbers if I needed to check out the
background of a meaningless commit message, but largely, I'd edit that
down into a paragraph like:

In the [[egg:ugarit|ugarit]] egg, [[users:alaric-snell-pym|Alaric
Snell-Pym]] added more bugs in handling FIFOs then tagged version 0.9

(and be roughly confident all the links are correct :-)

>>> 3) A script that, when run in a local git checkout, or maybe by talking
>>> direct to the core git repo, lists all the commits in a specified time
>>> period, grouped by branch.

Similarly, I'd be hoping for something like:

 * experimental
   * [deadbeef] Implemented call/pc [[users:felix|Felix Winkelmann]]
 * master
   * [cafebabe] Tagged v4.9 [[users:felix|Felix Winkelmann]]

ABS

--
Alaric Snell-Pym
http://www.snell-pym.org.uk/alaric/