Re: [Chicken-users] Chicken Gazette issue #17

From: .alyn.post.
Subject: Re: [Chicken-users] Chicken Gazette issue #17
Date: Fri, 14 Jan 2011 14:17:22 -0700

On Fri, Jan 14, 2011 at 09:14:26PM +0100, Felix wrote:
> > When I first encountered this problem, I tried using git bisect.  It
> > was the first time I'd used git bisect.  I had no luck doing so, because
> > each time I performed the bisect I failed to compile chicken with itself.
> > It was fun to learn how to do that, I'm sorry this change kept me
> > from running the experimental branch for so long.  Now I know what
> > to do, at least.  :-)
>
> Ugh - I stay away from advanced git - I always break something.
> I have to give this a try, though.

It was a classic use case: I pulled your repository and things
stopped working for me.  I needed to file a ticket, so I needed to
narrow down when the problem was introduced.

Of course, I could have avoided filing a ticket in the first place
had I been building experimental a second time, after bootstrapping,
but I was happy with just how easy it was to do.

> >> Some useless warnings have been removed.
> >>

> > I'm also really happy with this one.  It makes my build output much
> > cleaner, so I can spot legitimate warnings.
>
> Not much has been removed, just one or two things that are mostly
> related to unsafe code.

I was speaking specifically about this ticket:

  http://bugs.call-cc.org/ticket/451

Where a spurious warning about define-values was suppressed.  I use
that idiom a lot, because I want to share variables between two or
more "top-level" routines, but don't want those variables visible
anywhere else.  I'm glad not to get a warning about using it any
longer.

-Alan
--
.i ko djuno fi le do sevzi