Re: [Chicken-users] Chicken Gazette - Issue 13

From: Peter Bex
Subject: Re: [Chicken-users] Chicken Gazette - Issue 13
Date: Wed, 24 Nov 2010 19:25:13 +0100

On Wed, Nov 24, 2010 at 06:15:24PM +0100, Jörg F. Wittenberger wrote:
> > http://wiki.postgresql.org/wiki/Replication%2C_Clustering%2C_and_Connection_Pooling#Comparison_matrix
>
> I did not find anything about details of the master-master replication
> there.  Though the usual way is, that all changes an any end are
> replicated to the other one.

Well, that's what master-master replication is, isn't it?

> So MiM will always corrupt your data base.

You'd need some kind of MiM protection, or some in-database system which
assigns trustworthiness to your data, but that seems like it would be an
extension to simple replication.

>From what I've read some of those systems are based on triggers.  I guess
you could extend those triggers with your own custom weighing functions
or whatever.  I'm no expert in this subject matter, so I'm just guessing.

> > I didn't know SQLite had any replication whatsoever at all.  Or did you
> > roll your own?
> Well, I told you with a grin that this is a letters to the editor.  So
> kind of a "me too".
>
> Yes, I did.  Using chicken.  Did you read my linked example code?
> http://www.askemos.org/Adc5dd0c30f6e63932811ed60e019bb2d/Kalender?date=2010-11-01

I keep getting "connection refused" from that server, so I can't check.

> Adding yet another replica is as complicated as filling the id into this
> form (screenshot)
> http://www.askemos.org/Ab6c588dfa4ed826d7b387f19fbc60f10

Again, connection refused.

> > If so, you could do that with any database!
>
> Maybe you could.

I have no need for such a system right now :)  I just wanted to let you
know it's unfair to cite it as an advantage of SQLite if you just hacked
it on top since the same could be done with postgres.  Except that the
work has already been done for sqlite, of course ;)

> > That's what SSL connections (with client certificates) are for.
>
> Wait, security can be even stronger.  What if replica is rooted?  Or you
> got an admin bribed?

That's not exactly a classical MitM situation, is it?  How do you deal
with that now?

Cheers,
Peter
--