[Chicken-users] Scheme development workflow

From: Hans Nowak
Subject: [Chicken-users] Scheme development workflow
Date: Sat, 13 Nov 2010 18:18:40 -0500

Greetings,

I have been wondering for a while what the "optimal" workflow is when
working with Chicken (or most other Schemes, for that matter). I
suspect that the way I develop Chicken code is too much like how I use
Python, and that there should be better ways to do it.

Right now, when I write a program in Chicken, it looks something like
this. I have Emacs open with a number of Scheme files loaded. I have a
terminal window open with a csi session, and a browser window with
tabs for Chickadee, the Chicken manual and maybe other Scheme
resources. To try/test code, I use csi -s or -ss at the shell prompt,
and unit tests.

>From what I understand, this is not very "lispy" at all (having seen
videos of people using Common Lisp with SLIME, etc). How do people
here develop in Scheme?

(I tried http://community.schemewiki.org/?emacs-tutorial but it
doesn't tell me much that I didn't already know, and the C-x h C-c C-r
trick to send stuff to the Scheme REPL doesn't work properly for some
reason.)

Any advice welcome...

Thanks,

--Hans Nowak