Re: [Chicken-users] using mmap files as strings?

From: Alan Post
Subject: Re: [Chicken-users] using mmap files as strings?
Date: Wed, 27 Oct 2010 11:26:43 -0600

On Wed, Oct 27, 2010 at 06:45:32PM +0200, Jörg F. Wittenberger wrote:
> > pointer to the string and an index.  I rarely need to know the full
> > length of the string,
>
> But the length of the substring, don't you?

Ah, I should have been clearer.  For my specific problem, I needed
to know the current position of the full string, rather than having
a proper substring.

It will be useful to me later to have a proper substring, but because
of the way chicken works right now, I was going have that be the
point where I copied the string into the memory pool, with the
point I'm at now, needing only the current position, being something
that I potentially handle in C code with mmap, depending on how my
profiling goes.

That is specific to my own problem, for actual substrings you're
correct.

-Alan
--
.i ko djuno fi le do sevzi