Re: [Chicken-users] Problems on upgrade of Ubuntu to 'maverick'

From: Mario Domenech Goulart
Subject: Re: [Chicken-users] Problems on upgrade of Ubuntu to 'maverick'
Date: Wed, 20 Oct 2010 05:00:07 -0400

Hi Enwin

On Wed, 20 Oct 2010 08:23:14 +0530 Enwin Thun <address@hidden> wrote:

> Upon upgrading to Ubuntu 'maverick' the egg repository changes from
> /var/lib/chicken/4/ to
> /var/lib/chicken/5/.  Hence, previously installed eggs ( readline,
> numbers ) are not found.
>
> Trying to reinstall the eggs fails, as the default urls appear to be defunct.
> ---------
> ~/Development/projects$ chicken-install numbers
> retrieving ...
> connecting to host "chicken.kitten-technologies.co.uk", port 80 ...
> TCP connect timeout
> connecting to host "galinha.ucpel.tche.br", port 80 ...
> requesting "/cgi-bin/henrietta?name=numbers" ...
> reading response ...
> HTTP/1.1 301 Moved Permanently
> HTTP protocol error
>
> Error: extension or version not found
> ----------
>
> I am unable to find neither a listing of mirror urls nor the config
> file to modify(or is -l the only way?)

Yes, -l is one way, as Peter explained in another message.  Another way
is editing /usr/share/chicken/setup.defaults, replacing

 (location "http://galinha.ucpel.tche.br/cgi-bin/henrietta";)

by

 (location "http://code.call-cc.org/cgi-bin/henrietta.cgi";)

That said, we recommend using the latest Chicken release (4.6.0), which
can be obtained from http://code.call-cc.org/.  Building it is very easy
and doesn't require anything else you'd need for building eggs (except
make).

Usually the timeout failures for chicken.kitten-technologies.co.uk are
temporary, but if you are in a hurry, you can always use
code.call-cc.org.

Best wishes.
Mario
--