Re: [Chicken-users] (Windows) Tk, PS/Tk programs hangs

From: Peter Lane
Subject: Re: [Chicken-users] (Windows) Tk, PS/Tk programs hangs
Date: Sat, 16 Oct 2010 17:28:24 +0100

Hi,

Thanks for reporting the problem, which prompted me to finally dig out my windows laptop and see if my chicken programs will work there.  With minor adjustments, they do!

This is about the pstk egg.

I've made pstk work with chicken 4.6.1 (compiled under mingw+msys) and ActiveTcl 8.5.  pstk version 1.1 has been uploaded, and should now work under both windows and linux.

There are some examples of programs using pstk in the svn repository.  You have to make some small changes to get them to run.  First, you need to pass tk-start the name of the program which starts wish or tclsh.  For me, either of (tk-start "wish85")    or    (tk-start "tclsh85")    work.

Second, there is a problem with keyboard input, which I notice also happens (happened?) for ltk (the lisp/tk equivalent).  The two examples which expect keyboard input, temperature-conversion and text-editor, freeze up.  I've no idea why that is, but there's a simple fix.  Make your program show a dialog box on startup, which you dismiss by pressing 'enter' (not clicking!) and everything then seems to work.

e.g.

(tk-start "wish85")
(tk/message-box 'title: "starting program" 'message: "Press ENTER" 'type: 'ok)
(tk-wm title tk "PROGRAM")
etc

I hope that helps get things working on windows.

  best,

     Peter.

2010/10/16 h h <address@hidden>
Hello chicken users, I am using Chicken Scheme on windows 7 system:
>>csi
>
>CHICKEN
>(c)2008-2010 The Chicken Team
>(c)2000-2007 Felix L. Winkelmann
>Version 4.5.0
>windows-mingw32-x86 [ manyargs dload ptables ]
>compiled 21.08.2010  on Semerochka (MinGW)

I have successfully installed both Tk and PS/Tk eggs (http://wiki.call-cc.org/eggref/4/tk http://wiki.call-cc.org/eggref/4/pstk). I also installed Tcl/Tk from ActiveTcl package.

The problem is, my program just hangs during (start-tk) part, nothing just happens.

Has anyone got a solution for this?

Thanks in advance.