Re: [Chicken-users] More on Packaging eggs

From: Jim Pryor
Subject: Re: [Chicken-users] More on Packaging eggs
Date: Wed, 29 Sep 2010 16:50:53 -0400

As I said in an earlier message, I've been writing up build scripts for
Chicken Eggs for the Arch Linux packaging system. Out of 371 directories
in the release/4 svn repo, I've been able to successfully build and
package 328 of them. They're available here:

    http://aur.archlinux.org/packages.php?K=chicken-

Several of the meta files had problems; I reported these and most of
them have now been fixed, at least in trunk.

Several of the setup files needed patching to be usable with our (and I
expect with most) packaging systems. They wanted to install some files
underneath /usr or /usr/local even if chicken-install was invoked with
the -p switch specifying to install everything under a different root.
I'll email my patches to the authors or maintainers of these packages.

A few packages I didn't try to package. I'd appreciate any guidance
about these---be it "yes, that's deprecated don't try to package it" or
"yes, that's not ready yet, don't try to package it" or "that should be
distributable, after all."

    *   Obviously the Max OS X eggs don't belong on a Linux distro: macosx,
    objc, hfs+, osxattr

    *   The wiki says wiki-parse is "unsupported or redundant." Anyone want
    to expand on that? Anyway, I didn't try to package it.

    *   I packaged srfi-27 but not srfi-27-reference. The latter doesn't
    appear on the wiki page and I'm guessing it's not meant to be distributed?

    *   The following have (hidden) declarations in the meta file, so I'm
    guessing they're not for packaging. None of them are on the wiki page,
    either: 9ML-toolkit, ext-direct, log5scm, mime, qwiki, termite

    *   The following don't declare (hidden) or anything like that. But
    neither do they appear on
    http://wiki.call-cc.org/chicken-projects/egg-index-4.html: aes,
    crypto-tools, embedded-test, format-compiler-base, format-compiler,
    google-v8, linenoise, mailbox-threads, simple-units

    *   ugarit depends on crypto-tools, so without the latter I can't
    package the former either.

    *   These don't appear on the wiki page either, and moreover they don't
    seem to have any usable metafiles: debug, geoip, gps, libsvm, scgi,
    srfi-33

    *   These don't appear on the wiki page either, and don't have any meta
    file (only metaXXX files). Probably not for distribution? srfi-100,
    bytevector, err5rs-arithmetic, multimethod

    *   These have tags/ directories, though no trunk/ directory, and don't
    appear on the wiki page: sets, simple-logging

Those are the packages I didn't try to package. Here's one I did
package:

    *   colorize isn't on the wiki page, however it is a dependency of hyde,
    which is on the wiki page. So I did package colorize.

And here are some I wasn't able to package, despite trying:

    atlas-lapack
    cairo
    epeg
    formular
    fpio
    phoghorn
    probdist
    uuid-ossp

If anyone wants to look at build scripts and make suggestions for these
last ones, great. If not, I just won't bother with them.

I welcome feedback or corrections about any of this.

--
Jim Pryor
address@hidden