Re: [Chicken-users] Diff file to compile Chicken 4.5.0 on OpenSolaris

From: Felix
Subject: Re: [Chicken-users] Diff file to compile Chicken 4.5.0 on OpenSolaris
Date: Sat, 22 May 2010 01:21:45 +0200 (CEST)

From: Semih Cemiloglu <address@hidden>
Date: Fri, 21 May 2010 10:58:33 +1000

> Hi Felix,

Hello, Semih!

> I also built chicken-4.5.0 on Solaris 10 running on sparc platform with Sun
> studio C compiler:
>
> $ uname -a
> SunOS oberon 5.10 Generic_141414-08 sun4u sparc SUNW,Sun-Fire-880
>
> $ cc -V
> cc: Sun C 5.9 SunOS_sparc Patch 124867-06 2008/06/10

Excellent. Thanks for giving this a try.

> With one minor change on top changes I have submitted: tests/runtests.sh has
> to be run via ksh.

Ok.

> You may wish to update wiki's portability page:
>  chicken.wiki.br/portability
>
> Please note that both Solaris 10 and OpenSolaris (nicknamed Solaris
> 11) are available on both Intel (x86) and Sparc
> architecture. Current "architecture" field for "OpenSolaris" entry
> in the portability page might be wrong.

I have added entries, but I'm not sure if they are correct.

> Solaris 10 port of Chicken passes all regression tests except one:
>
> ======================================== private repository test ...
> ../chicken private-repository-test.scm -output-file tmp/xxx.c -include-path ..
> cc tmp/xxx.c -o tmp/xxx.o -c -errtags -DHAVE_CHICKEN_CONFIG_H
> -DC_ENABLE_PTABLES -xdebugformat=stabs -g -xO3 -DC_PRIVATE_REPOSITORY -I..
> -I"/home/semihc/local/chicken-4.5.0/include"
> rm tmp/xxx.c
> cc tmp/xxx.o -o tmp/xxx -L.. -L"/home/semihc/local/chicken-4.5.0/lib"
> -lchicken -lrt -lsocket -lnsl -lm -ldl
> rm tmp/xxx.o
>
> Error: assertion failed: (string=? repo dir)
>
>         Call history:
>
>         private-repository-test.scm:6: repository-path
>         private-repository-test.scm:6: normalize-pathname
>         private-repository-test.scm:7: command-line-arguments
>         private-repository-test.scm:7: normalize-pathname
>         private-repository-test.scm:9: print
>         ##sys#error                     <--
>

> Any advice on how to resolve this is much appreciated.

The C_path_to_executable function in chicken.h is possibly not working.
Does Solaris something resembling the "/proc/<PID>/exe" thingy available
on Linux? We need a way to get at the real location of the currently
running executable in the file-system.

> Further, let me know if you wish to obtain binary tarballs of chicken on
> Solaris platforms.

If you can put them up somewhere, we can add a link to the wiki. That
would be handy, yes.

BTW, I've made some minor changes to Makefile.solaris on top of your
changes to allow building with either suncc or gcc. If you could check
that the stuff is still working, I'd appreciate it.

Thanks again for your help!