Re: [Chicken-users] chickadee

From: Jim Ursetto
Subject: Re: [Chicken-users] chickadee
Date: Wed, 5 May 2010 15:01:55 -0500

On Wed, May 5, 2010 at 14:02, Shawn Rutledge <address@hidden> wrote:
> That's cool, seems quite fast too.  However try regex search for
> define-method.  It finds the objc implementation but not tinyclos.

You got unlucky there.  The tinyclos document is one of the few that
is not marked up correctly.

> Is this going to be suitable for local mirroring for offline use?

Yes, I will release the egg soon.  However the command-line tool
is typically more convenient for local use.

> What is the input, the chicken svn tree?

The input is your existing chicken-doc repository.

> Is it a set of pre-processed pages or are they generated on each request?

They are generated anew on each request, but generation is pretty
fast.  On my laptop, serving 'The R5RS Standard' takes 130ms:

$ time w3m -dump_source 'http://localhost:8080/chickadee/scheme' | wc -c
162496
real    0m0.130s

It also returns "304 not modified" responses when appropriate:

$ time curl -H 'If-Modified-Since: Tue, 04 May 2010 08:25:57 GMT' -I
http://localhost:8080/chickadee/scheme
HTTP/1.1 304 Not modified
real    0m0.045s

Under heavy or Internet-facing use it would be a good idea to place it
behind a gzipping proxy cache such as nginx.