Re: [Chicken-users] IPhone

From: Nicholas \"Indy\" Ray
Subject: Re: [Chicken-users] IPhone
Date: Mon, 13 Apr 2009 13:13:36 -0700

On Mon, Apr 13, 2009 at 3:54 AM, felix winkelmann <address@hidden> wrote:
> This is so crazy. As if GC'd memory management would be less safe
> the manual memory management. The absurdity is breathtaking.

I doubt the choice is for safety, in general manually managed
applications in general make less allocations, and don't have to spend
cycles for GC. In a language that doesn't support memory compaction,
such as Obj-C, on a single address space machine I could imagine how
fragmentation could cause a lot of problems. Additionally, both more
allocations and more Collections use more cycles and thus more energy.
Apple does a lot to try to maximize the amount of battery life. Which
is why they have made such decisions as no background processes.

Indy