Re: [Chicken-users] Build Failure (maybe infinite recursion) on x86_64 L

From: Taylor Venable
Subject: Re: [Chicken-users] Build Failure (maybe infinite recursion) on x86_64 Linux
Date: Wed, 11 Mar 2009 14:25:12 -0400

On Tue, Mar 10, 2009 at 02:19:56PM +0100, felix winkelmann wrote:
> On Mon, Mar 9, 2009 at 3:43 PM, Taylor Venable <address@hidden> wrote:
> >
> > The bug becomes more and more phantasmagorical!
> >
> > When initially compiling chicken-boot with "make PLATFORM=linux
> > DEBUGBUILD=yes bootstrap" the bug does not appear.
> >
> > When using -:d OR -:s500k OR -:s1m the bug does not appear.
> >
> > When run inside GDB (even without debugging symbols) the bug does not
> > appear.
>
> When invalid data leaks into the garbage collector (and GC's happen
> very frequently in chicken), the effects are always interesting and
> effectively
> non-deterministic. Giving an extra command-line option will allocate storage,
> which will slightly shift the moment GC happens, which will lead to another
> interesting effect. Debugging these bugs is very instructive.
>
> Try to trigger a crash or loop inside gdb by using different -:s settings.

Well I was able to trigger a hang in my build with the debugging
symbols by setting the nursery stack size to 10k.  Debug log from GDB
is attached.  The three entries here were taken from allowing the
program to run for varying periods of time.  The behaviour I got
spiked the CPU but the memory usage did not increase visibly.  Hope
this sheds a little more light; if not let me know and I can go back
at it.  (I notice here that the proc parameter to C_reclaim is the
null pointer, don't know if that's meaningful or not...)

--
Taylor Christopher Venable
http://real.metasyntax.net:2357/