Re: [Chicken-users] Ugarit: A backup/archival system

From: Sven Hartrumpf
Subject: Re: [Chicken-users] Ugarit: A backup/archival system
Date: Wed, 28 Jan 2009 09:21:01 +0100 (CET)

Tue, 27 Jan 2009 10:54:25 +0000, alaric wrote:
> I'm pleased to announce the release of the first beta release of
> Ugarit, a backup/archival system based around content-addressed
> storage, written in Chicken Scheme.

Very impressive.

Some questions and comments:

- Tiger hash: What happens in case of collisions (i.e. different
  data blocks having the same hash)?

- gdbm as a storage backend: if you want a light-weight but more
  efficient/recent variant of dbm, please consider tokyocabinet too.

- What I always wanted to add to other backup systems:
  an option to rely on mtime of directories: if the mtime of a directory
  has not changed, skip the whole directory for testing. In some scenarios
  (and with careful users/scripts that ensure update of directories' mtime!),
  this will give you a performance boost).

- I will test ugarit with 500 GB and 20 million files ...
  or is this too early?

Greetings
Sven