Re: [Chicken-users] Re: A call to arms

From: Lam Luu
Subject: Re: [Chicken-users] Re: A call to arms
Date: Thu, 22 Jan 2009 09:30:39 -0600

Andrew Gwozdziewycz wrote:
On Thu, Jan 22, 2009 at 9:26 AM, Lam Luu <address@hidden> wrote:
I think that a web framework on Scheme must employ continuation to the
fullest. It would be great if the programmers can write scripts that act as
if they are run continuously (but actually stopped and restart by the
continuation). Plus, given that Chicken use continuations extensively, I
expect it to be fairly efficient. The only problem is that I don't know if
we can save a continuation on to disk or something like that with Chicken.

You don't really need to serialize a continuation for it to actually
work, but you do have to have some way to age old continuations stored
in memory, or risk resource exhaustion. Plus, doing this limits your
scalability options, as you'll end up forcing users to one server
while they still have resumable continuations.

While modalness would be awesome, I don't think not having it will
stop a good framework from being used.

This is why I want to serialize continuations. If we can save it to disk, or pass it between one one sever to another, we can scale it just as we scale any other type of data