Re: [Chicken-users] need regex benchmark

From: Alex Shinn
Subject: Re: [Chicken-users] need regex benchmark
Date: Tue, 11 Nov 2008 03:14:19 +0900

Tobia Conforto <address@hidden> writes:

> felix winkelmann wrote:
>> Does someone know of a good regex benchmark
>
> Yes. The file perltestdata in Edi Weitz's
> http://weitz.de/files/cl-ppcre.tar.gz contains a big PCRE stress test
> (15,000 tests) already formatted for  lisp.
>
> Every line of the file contains a s-expr with the following fields:
> - numeric id
> - the test in perl syntax, for cross-language benchmarking
> - the regular expression under test
> - case-insensitive?
> - multi-line?
> - single-line?
> - verbose?
> - target string
> - error-expected?
> - expected-match
> - expected-registers

Thanks, I'll take a look at those tests, but they're likely
to have a lot of duplicates with the existing test suite.

What Felix is looking for, however, is a benchmark.
CL-PPCRE used to have benchmarks, but they weren't very
good, and don't even seem to be available anymore.  The
shootout benchmark is a joke.

I'll be working on comprehensive benchmarks for the next
release of irregex.  In the meantime, I think a simple
collection of common regular expressions and usage patterns
in existing Chicken code would help to reassure people :)

--
Alex