Re: [Chicken-users] DBI

From: Ozzi Lee
Subject: Re: [Chicken-users] DBI
Date: Wed, 27 Feb 2008 14:40:54 -0600

I suggest that a row be an a-list, and that null columns be represented
by being non-existent in the a-list.  If you end up preferring a plain
list or a vector, then use (void) instead -- I am trying to get this
standardized as the Chicken representation of SQL's NULL.

I like a-lists as rows for well. I'm not sure about null columns not existing, I think I like it but I guess I'd have to think about/play with it. Otherwise I agree (void) is probably a good idea.

In reality, though, I think portability between databases is more
hypothetical than real.  Projects typically start with one database and
stick to it, for moving between databases *even if a portability layer
is in use* turns out to be hard -- all sorts of stuff outside the main
code base ends up changing (path names, load scripts, whatever).

I agree that portability isn't that great in practice. I'd like to see a DBI egg for two reasons:

1. Starting out on a project, 90% of the time I'll use SQLite, because it's the easiest. Often I'll want to switch to MySQL once things get rolling. A single DBI interface makes this quite a bit easier.

2. For quick and dirty scripts that need to access a database, it would be nice to have to keep in the differences between the different interfaces.

I would like for a DBI egg itself to be as agnostic as possible. SQL implementation issues (DBI won't mess with SQL at all) and outside scripts aside, do you know of any incompatibilities that would affect this?