Re: [Chicken-users] Re: YADT: yet another documentation thread

From: Mark Fredrickson
Subject: Re: [Chicken-users] Re: YADT: yet another documentation thread
Date: Mon, 18 Feb 2008 14:05:49 -0600

On Feb 18, 2008, at 12:45 PM, Peter Bex wrote:

On Sat, Feb 16, 2008 at 05:03:47PM -0500, Graham Fawcett wrote:
The CL community has a "My Road to Lisp" meme, where CL users write up a quick story on how they "arrived". I'd *love* to hear people's My Road to
Chicken stories.

Pre-university:
BASIC. Pascal. C. C++.

University:
Rexx (I never discovered if this was a real language or just a teaching tool at my school. It's very similar to...) SML. Java. More C/ C++. More SML. Perl.

Post-university:
PHP. Ruby. JavaScript. Scheme (finally!)

I've been looking for my "go to" language for a long time. Ruby was a strong candidate, but Scheme takes what I like about Ruby and gives me more options. I looked at CL but found it weird and inconsistent. The little things matter. Now, I plan to plant myself firmly in Scheme and see where it takes me.

(BTW, if nobody else is interested I'd
be happy to try my hand at a Ruby->Chicken tutorial).

I too would be happy to help. I recently volunteered to give a Scheme introduction my local Ruby group.

-Mark