Re: [Chicken-users] aliases in the wiki

From: Alejandro Forero Cuervo
Subject: Re: [Chicken-users] aliases in the wiki
Date: Sun, 17 Feb 2008 13:34:56 -0800

> I was wondering if these could be placed in a separate namespace
> (e.g. http://chicken.wiki.br/sym/stream-xcons or
> http://chicken.wiki.br/sym:stream-xcons).  The reason being that
> with an influx of procedure names the potential for collision
> goes way up with a flat namespace.

I don't think the potential for collision is too bad: in those cases
in which we have collisions, we can simply create a page listing the
multiple possible meanings, something along the lines of:

> Format
>
> There are the following pages about this:
>
> * Eggs:
>   - format
>   - format-modular
> * Procedures:
>   - format at the format-modular egg

For the egg pages we would simply prefix them (so format-modular would
become egg-format-modular).

This is just what wikipedia does.

I think the advantage of not requiring users to type the "sym:" or
"sym/" each time they use this functionality is larger than the
disadvantage of having the clashes.  Basically, think of it as just
one namespace where a user can search for pretty much anything and
expect to find something useful.

Alejo.
http://azul.freaks-unidos.net/