Re: [Chicken-users] Comprehensive documentation rewrite

From: Mark Fredrickson
Subject: Re: [Chicken-users] Comprehensive documentation rewrite
Date: Tue, 12 Feb 2008 12:28:37 -0600

Perhaps before we decide where data should live, what format, etc, we
should come up with a list of requirements that we want to meet?
Here's my attempt at cataloging what I've heard so far:

0. Data should not be duplicated. Duplicated data will get out of
date, fork, etc.
1. Data should be easy to translate into different formats
(potentially wiki, texi, SXML, HTML, man pages, others) [1]
2. Data should be available off-line.
3. Data should come with egg.
4. Users should be able to update data via wiki system [2]
5. Data should apply to more than just lambdas/procedures
6. Presentation of data (at least online) should be consistent

[1] For each format F, this requirement implies a mapping from data D
-> F. Do we also need a mapping from F -> D, so that if a user changes
F the original data can be updated?

[2] I think this is related to [1]. If we change the wiki (a
representation) does the original data change? Also, there are some
permissions and branching issues here if the document data is stored
in the egg. E.g. should all users get to update the wiki
documentation? Is the wiki branched such that documentation changes in
one branch do not inappropriately change other branches?

---

Other requirements?
-Mark