Re: [Chicken-users] multiple values in chicken

From: Shawn W.
Subject: Re: [Chicken-users] multiple values in chicken
Date: Fri, 1 Feb 2008 19:48:13 -0800

On Feb 1, 2008, at 7:24 PM, Zbigniew wrote:

Thanks Shawn. Your results are really similar to Ivan's Xeon, which was
running 64-bit.  You both had a huge number of major GCs, in the 6-7k
range. I believe that you are seeing not only the effect of the stack frame
difference we're seeing on certain 32-bit systems, but also the double
word size of 64-bit machines.

If you were to rerun your binary with a double-size stack (256k) to
account for the 64-bit words, I bet your GCs would go down substantially.

Try:
$ ./shinn -:s256k

4446 minors and 816 majors with that (Using the -Ob compiled one), and 15 seconds of run time. Some trials using real-world chicken programs with the larger stack size show a less-significant but still present speedup. I'm thinking it would be a good idea to increase the default stack size on 64-bit hosts.

--
Shawn W.
address@hidden