[Chicken-users] string vs u8vector.

From: David Brown
Subject: [Chicken-users] string vs u8vector.
Date: Fri, 1 Feb 2008 11:01:37 -0800

I'm noticing that most eggs and even a lot of the builtin libraries use
strings to manipulate binary data.  There is also a lot better support for
string manipulation (SRFI-13).

However, R5RS doesn't require strings to be bytes.

So, am I safe, in Chicken, to use strings for binary data?  I start using
u8vectors, and then discovered that a lot of libraries I wanted to use to
manipulate them wanted strings.

The other possibility would be for me to enhance the libraries I'm using to
also work with u8vectors.

Thanks,
David