Re: [Chicken-users] multiple values in chicken

From: John Cowan
Subject: Re: [Chicken-users] multiple values in chicken
Date: Fri, 1 Feb 2008 09:36:10 -0500

Tobia Conforto scripsit:

> I see what John is proposing here, and it makes sense to me.

Umm, not so fast.  I wasn't *proposing* anything, just expressing
a theoretical possibility that is totally irrelevant for Chicken
because of the way it works.

> We could choose values and receive (or let-values) to be the primitive
> calls and relegate call-with-values to the role of a somewhat
> inefficient wrapper, included for the sake of conformance.

One could write a Scheme like that, yes.

> - (values 1 2) could put the two values in registers or stack
> locations, without unnecessary consing, taking care to put the first
> returned value in the conventional register for single return values;

Chicken generates C, so it has no control over particular registers.
And Chicken functions never return at the C level: "returning" means
calling the continuation function and passing it an argument.

--
Evolutionary psychology is the theory           John Cowan
that men are nothing but horn-dogs,             http://www.ccil.org/~cowan