Re: [Chicken-users] Re: Debian slander?

From: Peter Busser
Subject: Re: [Chicken-users] Re: Debian slander?
Date: Thu, 27 Dec 2007 19:37:42 +0100

Hi!

> Chicken is an optimizing batch compiler for the R5RS Scheme language.
> It produces portable, efficient C supporting tail recursion, first-class
> continuations, and lightweight threads.  Interfacing to and from C
> is emphasized, including both static and dynamic loading of Chicken
> code, with full support for Posix functions.  Chicken comes with a
> reasonably fast interpreter for interactive use, debugging, and scripting.
> Chicken also has a repository with hundreds of user-contributed "eggs",
> including most SRFIs and many other widely available Scheme libraries.

Chicken is a combination of an optimising Scheme compiler and a reasonably
fast interpreter. It supports R5RS and most of the SRFIs. The compiler
produces C code and supports tail recursion, first-class continuations, and
lightweight threads. It providesfunctionality for easy interfacing with C
libraries. The interpreter can be used for interactive use, fast prototyping,
debugging, and scripting. Furthermore, Chicken has an active and helpfull
community. Extensive documentation is available. And there are hundreds of
user contributed Chicken libraries available that make a programmer's task
easier.

Maybe it is just me, but I always install packages with a goal in mind.
And that means that I want to know whether a given tool can help me
achieve that goal or not. I don't want to wonder or find out whether I need a
batch compiler or not.

Groetjes,
Peter.