Re: [Chicken-users] XML-RPC and authentication

From: Thomas Christian Chust
Subject: Re: [Chicken-users] XML-RPC and authentication
Date: Tue, 23 Oct 2007 13:26:52 +0200

felix winkelmann wrote:

> On 10/22/07, Thomas Christian Chust <address@hidden> wrote:
>
>> [...]
>> I wondered whether there was a way to transmit a custom header with
>> every request sent by the XML-RPC egg, which would enable me to use
>> basic HTTP authentication.
>
> [...]
> I don't think this is supported, but it shouldn't be hard to add: see the
> code for "xml-rpc:server", which passes a few headers to
> "http:send-request".

Hello,

looking at the code I realize that my question was pretty stupid,
because basic authentication is already supported -- it's just not
documented.

> An additional argument couild be used here,
> but then it might as well be sensible to turn the procedure into
> one that accepts keyword arguments. Or extra arguments to
> the procedure returned by "xml-rpc:server"? I'm not sure what is
> best here...
> [...]

As it is well possible that you do not want to pass the optional port /
path arguments but do want to pass the user / password arguments, I
think it would be nicer to turn the latter argument pair into keyword
arguments. This wouldn't even change the documented API ;-)

cu,
Thomas