[Chicken-users] chicken-setup on Windows

From: Eric Rochester
Subject: [Chicken-users] chicken-setup on Windows
Date: Fri, 14 Sep 2007 18:18:25 -0400

The simplified build system makes it much easier to build on Windows. Unfortunately, it also seems to have broken installing eggs.

I found a problem with the latest SVN check out of Chicken. chicken-setup could download and compile extensions all right, but failed when copying them because the paths passed to the copy command contained both forward- and back-slashes. I've attached a patch that will, under Windows only, quote any paths with forward slashes in them, which fixes the problem. I tested it under Linux also (Ubuntu 7.04), and it still worked fine there.

Another option would be to change the appropriate make files to insert the correct path separator for each OS. I played with doing that for a while, but the combination of passing the paths in on the command line, running them through make, and writing them to the C header file seemed error prone and brittle.

I wasn't entirely sure where to send this, since it's more of a bug fix than a bug report. If I need to post this to Trac, just let me know.

Thanks for a great product. I really appreciate all the work that's gone into it.
Eric Rochester