Re: [Chicken-users] operations

From: Kon Lovett
Subject: Re: [Chicken-users] operations
Date: Mon, 16 Jul 2007 11:03:35 -0700

On Jul 16, 2007, at 9:55 AM, Robin Lee Powell wrote:

On Mon, Jul 16, 2007 at 12:12:27PM +0200, felix winkelmann wrote:
A quick and dirty implementation of T's
(http://mumble.net/~jar/tproject/) object system

Wow.  What an amazing mess, including that the "T Revival" page
linked to near the top has been taken down.

Before I kill myself trying to figure out WTH that page is about
just because Felix thinks it's cool (which is sufficient reason, for
the most part, but still) can anyone give me a precis of why this is
interesting?

Not sure "cool" is the word, it is of historical interest. T was Yale's implementation of Scheme, sort-of. It was a much larger language than what Scheme was at that time. A "real-world" implementation of Scheme.

The T object system is a clear extension of the "generic" functions found in Scheme, like '+' for example. It is much more lightweight than CLOS generic functions. Single-dispatch only, but that fits with the usual semantics of Scheme functions - they usually deal with parameters of the same "class", like numbers.

In the context of Chicken see it as Yet Another Object System.

I doubt T will have a "revival." In practice it has been eclipsed by MzScheme, Chez Scheme, Chicken, etc. All of which provide a programming system larger than basic Scheme. (And it had idiosyncrasies of its' own. If you can find a copy of "The T Programming Language" it is worth a look.)

Best Wishes,
Kon

-Robin

Reason #237 To Learn Lojban: "Homonyms: Their Grate!"
Proud Supporter of the Singularity Institute - http://singinst.org/