Re: [Chicken-users] a file system using Chicken

From: Dan Muresan
Subject: Re: [Chicken-users] a file system using Chicken
Date: Sat, 09 Jun 2007 20:53:45 +0300

You mention on your webpage that "Scheme functions cannot serve as C
callbacks" ... was the showstopper the multithreaded ->
cooperative-threaded impedance difference, or was there another issue
with calling back into Scheme from C?

Not really. I said that Scheme functions cannot serve as C callbacks. I did not say that you cannot call a Scheme function from C.

Fuse expects a structure fuse_operations filled with callbacks such as

int (*readlink) (const char *, char *, size_t);

You can't really write a Scheme function that, when compiled with Chicken, has this signature. Of course it's possible to write C stubs that call Chicken functions, but you'd lose the advantages of cooperative threading in that approach.

Cheers,
Dan