[Chicken-users] build irritations on windows xp

From: bryan rasmussen
Subject: [Chicken-users] build irritations on windows xp
Date: Sun, 22 Apr 2007 02:47:55 +0200

Hey,

I recently had to do some cleaning on my system, I am sitting here
with some time for some programming and trying to get Chicken running
again. Not going good for recompiling. Get half of the way in any
compile but get thrown by PCRE, this is the case using MSys, MingGW,
and Open Watcom. From OpenWatcom the error report starts with:

[ 10%] Building C object pcre\CMakeFiles\libpcre-for-shared.dir\chartables.obj
Error! E1073: Invalid option '-fPIC'
Error: Compiler returned a bad status compiling "C:\programminglanguages\scheme\
chicken-2.6\pcre\chartables.c"
Error(E42): Last command making (pcre\CMakeFiles\libpcre-for-shared.dir\chartabl
es.obj) returned a bad status
Error(E02): Make execution terminated
Error(E42): Last command making (pcre\CMakeFiles\libpcre-for-shared.dir\all) ret
urned a bad status
Error(E02): Make execution terminated
Error(E42): Last command making (all) returned a bad status
Error(E02): Make execution terminated

removing fPIC and trying to compile again I get:

-- Cannot determine repository type. Please set UPDATE_TYPE to 'cvs' or 'svn'. C
Test update will not work.
Can't find Chicken, which is required to generate bootstrap .c files.
You have no valid Chicken available.
   If you have all the boot/cfiles/*.c files that a bootstrap needs,
   then I can still build Chicken for you.
All boot/cfiles/*.c files are present.
-- C_STACK_GROWS_DOWNWARD=1
-- No Darcs repository.  ChangeLog already exists as part of archive distributio
n.
-- Configuring done
-- Generating done
-- Build files have been written to: C:/programminglanguages/scheme/chicken-2.6
[ 10%] Building C object pcre\CMakeFiles\libpcre-for-shared.dir\chartables.obj
[ 10%] Building C object pcre\CMakeFiles\libpcre-for-shared.dir\pcre_compile.obj

C:\programminglanguages\scheme\chicken-2.6\pcre\pcre_compile.c(3263): Error! E10
11: Symbol 'MAX_DUPLENGTH' has not been declared
C:\programminglanguages\scheme\chicken-2.6\pcre\pcre_compile.c(3869): Error! E10
11: Symbol 'MAX_NAME_COUNT' has not been declared
C:\programminglanguages\scheme\chicken-2.6\pcre\pcre_compile.c(3877): Error! E10
11: Symbol 'MAX_NAME_SIZE' has not been declared
C:\programminglanguages\scheme\chicken-2.6\pcre\pcre_compile.c(3952): Error! E10
11: Symbol 'MAX_NAME_SIZE' has not been declared
Error: Compiler returned a bad status compiling "C:\programminglanguages\scheme\
chicken-2.6\pcre\pcre_compile.c"
Error(E42): Last command making (pcre\CMakeFiles\libpcre-for-shared.dir\pcre_com
pile.obj) returned a bad status
Error(E02): Make execution terminated
Error(E42): Last command making (pcre\CMakeFiles\libpcre-for-shared.dir\all) ret
urned a bad status
Error(E02): Make execution terminated
Error(E42): Last command making (all) returned a bad status
Error(E02): Make execution terminated

any help on these?

by the way, didn't there used to be a Windows binary on the front page
of the Chicken Scheme site?

Cheers
Bryan Rasmussen