Re: [Chicken-users] Rewriting Svnwiki in Java or PHP

From: Brandon J. Van Every
Subject: Re: [Chicken-users] Rewriting Svnwiki in Java or PHP
Date: Sun, 01 Apr 2007 18:50:28 -0700

Graham Fawcett wrote:

I just read Alejo's blog post:

4. [Java] tends to make the code very easy to maintain
#4 is extremely arguable. Most serious Java projects I've seen have
degraded into an unreadable pile of abstraction layers. There is such
a thing as too many interfaces. And the code is not succinct at all;
lots of maintenance code needed (e.g. for exception handling). IMO,
Python and Ruby have a good sweet-spot for short, generally-readable
code.

I helped start the Seattle Functional Programmers. It has a strong contingent from Amazon.com, who use various experimental languages for heavy duty web and customer database stuff. Pretty much as world class as this sort of problem is going to get. As of 6 months ago, Python and Ruby were internally popular, but the Ruby crowd was getting more actual work done. I don't know the situation today. But from this data point, it's clear to me that the smart guys think there are better things to work with than Java.

Cheers,
Brandon Van Every