Re: [Chicken-users] Centralized documentation

From: Toby Butzon
Subject: Re: [Chicken-users] Centralized documentation
Date: Mon, 12 Feb 2007 22:11:13 -0800

Felix and I have had related discussions. I don't mean to steer the conversation away from the topic (how to do egg documentation) -- but I would like to make sure we move in the direction of making things more coherent and usable. Part of that should be that whatever is decided for egg documentation should be something that will last us a good long while.

What I would like to see (and have been working on parts of, ever so slowly in my free time):
* Merge callcc.org functionality into call/cc.org layout/content (making both URLs serve the same purpose, either by mirroring or redirection)
* Merge the wiki into call/cc.org so that all chicken stuff (except trac) is available at a URL that begins "call/cc.org". (E.g., call/cc.org/wiki perhaps.)
* Unify documentation procedures. All of Chicken, including Eggs, should have indexes of their functions/variables/API that are easily machine-readable (a simple alist or something would be nice, or perhaps embed some kind of markup into the wiki, although I cringe at the thought of much xml).

Ultimately, all of this would bring Chicken back to one main website, and it would have mostly editable pages and full search ability. The three URLs we have now (call/cc.org, callcc.org, and galinha) would continue to work, but would serve up the same content, thereby allowing us to move to one canonical URL (or perhaps an easy to remember system of mirror URLs, e.g. us1.callcc.org, br1.callcc.org, de1.callcc.org, etc. (Trac would stay sort of separated, but that's fine because most developers are used to a separate "developer" site.)

--
Toby Butzon