Re: [Chicken-users] cello? cross-platform gui toolkit

From: Kon Lovett
Subject: Re: [Chicken-users] cello? cross-platform gui toolkit
Date: Wed, 7 Feb 2007 11:19:50 -0800

On Feb 7, 2007, at 10:43 AM, Joerg F. Wittenberger wrote:

I'm afraid I'm sold.

I just read about cells and http://common-lisp.net/project/cells-gtk/
(haven't heard about it before).

To me this looks like a usable way to write (G)UI's.

I think so too. At least the declarative + constraint satisfaction part. (You might want to look at Cassowary & The Scheme Constraints Window Manager - now moribund - http://www.cs.washington.edu/research/constraints/cassowary & http:// scwm.sourceforge.net)

So whatever the underlying toolkit will be (and how inclomplete the
implementation to start with), I'd vote for something like this
http://common-lisp.net/project/cells-gtk/cgtk-primer.html
as the syntax and style, I shall edit.  Well, maybe we could drop a
few of those "mk-" prefixes (as is "mk-vbox", "mk-radio-button" etc.).

But probably I'm sold because I'm biased anyway.  Could someone please
tell me, what the difference between cells, termite and askemos is?

Cells is a constraint propagation system for CLOS (spreadsheet-style programming). Termite is Erlang in Scheme. Askemos is a trusted/ reliable distributed computing framework. Only Termite & Askemos could be considered in a similar category.

(except maybe for persistance or safety; from cell-doc.lisp, which I
just have open):

   take a system from time T to time T+1 smoothly
versus
http://www.askemos.org/A849640f672ed0df0958abc0712110f3c/ ProcessStep
   http://www.askemos.org/A849640f672ed0df0958abc0712110f3c/AskemosDVM
Looks just like different wording, to me.  Anything substancial I'm
missing?

I am unsure of the question. ".../ProcessStep" is a glossary entry. ".../AskemosDVM" is an abstract definition of the distributed virtual machine. Any state-oriented computation model "take a system from time T to time T+1 smoothly" but the devil is in the details, especially for concurrent systems.

regards

/Joerg