Re: [Chicken-users] cross-platform gui toolkit

From: felix winkelmann
Subject: Re: [Chicken-users] cross-platform gui toolkit
Date: Mon, 5 Feb 2007 09:39:21 +0100

On 2/5/07, Shawn Rutledge <address@hidden> wrote:

> Binding Qt takes too much time, Qt is a big dependency for those who
> prefer Gnomish desktops, Qt is too large for some systems. Qt is also quite
> slow. Qt is proprietary.

It runs on high-end phones and PDAs.  It is not terribly proprietary
anymore; it's free for free software.  It is somewhat portable.  The
code for a typical app is pretty elegant, as much as a C++ programmer
could expect.

Qtopia 4 runs like molasses on the systems we use here (200Mhz ARM and
MIPS without FPU), the new graphics engine ("Arthur") is pretty demanding.
Ok, that are pretty basic systems by todays standards. On the other hand,
what about a 68k-based uCLinux system without MMU?

Qt is the highest quality toolkit available, yet its overkill for most things.
It does have good marketing, though...