Re: [Chicken-users] Integrating unit tests into source code

From: Peter Bex
Subject: Re: [Chicken-users] Integrating unit tests into source code
Date: Thu, 14 Dec 2006 12:18:42 +0100

On Thu, Dec 14, 2006 at 12:13:19PM +0100, Peter Busser wrote:
> Hi!
>
> I have no ideas for the exact mechanism or the syntax. But I like the
> idea of having test cases embedded in the code. That makes proper
> maintenance of the test cases more likely IMHO.

You're not worried about the proliferation of huge test cases which
clutter up the code?  You'd have to go looking for the thing that's most
important: the actual code.  If you're trying to find something quickly
and you're not familiar with the code it's much easier if you have a
few functions on your screen.  If you include all the tests, it's
very likely one function will fill up an entire screen so you'll have
to keep scrolling all over the place.

To me, tests are a completely different beast than the algorithms that
make up the actual program.  You can leave out the tests and the program
won't stop working.  Some tests need additional code for support (setting
things up in a particular way etc).  Why would one want to put all that
code (which may be twice as big as the code itself, or even bigger, if done
properly) in one huge file?

Regards,
Peter
--