Re: [Chicken-users] scgi with lighttpd

From: Ashish Shrestha
Subject: Re: [Chicken-users] scgi with lighttpd
Date: Wed, 4 Oct 2006 16:47:57 +0100

Sorry for not updating. Yes, I did find that out while I was trying
out different combinations. You mentioned documentation. I didn't find
much in the scgi and fastcgi modules. Where is it documented?

Since I just started learning scheme and don't know much I am still
going over the scgi code and trying to understand it.

I am trying to modify to be able to program with 'url as interface' so
when I access the url http://host/photos/album1/pic1 -- I can map
/photos/* to a method photos and it can extract the album and picture
out of the url instead of doing http://host/photos?album=1&pic=1. I
think it would be useful because it allows urls like

http://host/weblog/2006/jan/ -- list of posts for jan 2006
http://host/weblog/2006/jan/15 -- post for 15 jan 2006 etc.

Anyway, thanks a lot for the information and the scgi egg :)
Ashish

On 10/4/06, Thomas Chust <address@hidden> wrote:
On Sun, 24 Sep 2006, Ashish Shrestha wrote:

> I am using scgi with lighttpd 1.4.11 and really enjoying it. [...] Don't
> know the reasons for it but I think, specially for those using lighttpd,
> it would be more helpful to use script_name or request_uri rather than
> path_info as path_info is always empty. [...]

Hello Ashish,

I investigated this problem further and came to the conclusion that it is
probably unnecessary to modify the SCGI egg, because lighttpd can easily
be configured to behave as expected by the egg.

If you attach your SCGI with a command like

        scgi.server = ( "/some/root/path/" =>
                        (( "host" => "localhost"
                           "port" => 1234 )))

in the lighttpd configuration, then only SCRIPT_NAME is set by lighttpd,
but if you omit the trailing slash in the configuration command like this:

        scgi.server = ( "/some/root/path" =>
                        (( "host" => "localhost"
                           "port" => 1234 )))

then a request for /some/root/path/some/path will set PATH_INFO to
/some/path just as the SCGI egg expects it.

At least this works with a freshly installed lighttpd 1.4.12 on my Mac and
it is documented behaviour.

Please let me know if this helps with your problem or whether you still
need some fix incorporated into the SCGI egg.

cu,
Thomas